Politics
GOVERNORS funding attacks against opposition parties: HURIWA alleges*
By George Mgbeleke
Pro-democracy and civil rights advocacy group: HUMAN RIGHTS WRITERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (HURIWA) has blamed the All Progressives Congress and their state governor’s for arming and motivating thugs to unleash violence on leaders of opposition political parties to such an extent that their central purpose is to foist a one-party system in the country by violent means.
In a statementsigned by National Coordinator ComradenEmmanuel Nnadozie Onwubiko”HURIWA has watched with considerable consternation and disappointment with the heads of security forces in Nigeria and especially the Nigerian police Force, the Department of State Services, the Nigerian Civil Defence Corps as they watched helplessly whilst apparently armed political thugs drafted by the All Progressives Congress purportedly working to ensure that only the APC operates seamlessly in their domains, have violently attacked leaders of especially the African Democratic Congress perceived as the strongest political opposition party to the ruling All Progressives Congress which has successfully deployed moles and saboteurs within the Peoples Democratic Party and Labour Party to destroy their structures and fictionalised them to weakened their readiness to confront the incumbent president in the 2027 poll.
“The failure of these publicly funded security services to effectively protect opposition politicians whilst they set up their offices un those states, shows that the governors and the president who command and controls the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is in the know and may have subtly approved this anti-democratic attacks especially against the ADC. We condemn these attacks and we are warning that these attacks may precipitate widespread violence since no single political party has the monopoly of violence. The earlier President Bola Ahmed Tinubu directs and ensures that multiparty democracy thrives in Nigeria, the better or else we forget about a violence free 2027 poll. A stitch in time saves nine”. These attacks have happened in Efo, Cross Rivers, Borno, Kaduna and the street urchins armed by the APC are spreading these attacks.”
HURIWA recalled that suspected political thugs disrupted the planned opening of an African Democratic Congress secretariat on Saturday in Bakassi Local Government Area, Cross Rivers State.
According to reports, the attackers stormed the venue, dispersing party supporters and destroying canopies, loudspeakers, chairs, and other equipment arranged for the ceremony.
A video circulating on social media showed a group of youths forcefully dismantling the setup while shouting that the ADC would not be allowed to operate in the council area.
In the footage, a man believed to be leading the group was heard ordering others to scatter everything as they (ADC) were nowhere to be found when they (APC) were busy fixing the council area.
Confirming the incident, the Cross River State Police Command described the perpetrators as hoodlums and said officers were deployed to restore order.
The command’s spokesman, ASP Sunday Eitokpah, said in a statement released on Sunday that the event was about to commence when “the hoodlums from nowhere came and scattered the canopies, chairs and sound systems.”
He, however, said the situation had been brought under control to prevent snowballing into a full-blown crisis.
“Officers and tactical team are at the scene. The event couldn’t continue again. In such a chaotic situation, and considering the volatile nature of the area, for now, no arrests have been made,” he stated.
It would be recalled that similar situations played out on Tuesday when the party’s activity was disrupted in Calabar.
The disruption led the ADC to raise the alarm over what it described as an attempt to hijack the structure of the party in the state.
Besides, few weeks back Presidential candidate of Labour Party in 2023, Mr.Peter Obi, erstwhile National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), John Odigie-Oyegun, and some chieftains of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) were, attacked by suspected thugs in Edo State.
The hoodlums allegedly stormed the party secretariat, destroying facilities and injuring party members. Some plastic chairs and canopies were damaged during the incident, though no casualties were recorded.
The attackers reportedly moved to the residence of Odigie-Oyegun shortly after a political event in the state capital. Oyegun had led other ADC leaders, including Obi, to receive the former Labour Party (LP) candidate in the 2024 gubernatorial election in the state, Olumide Akpata, into the party at the time of the incident.
Obi’s former campaign spokesman and National Coordinator of the Obidient Movement Worldwide, Dr Yunusa Tanko, disclosed this in a statement issued in Abuja.
The statement reads: “Peter Obi and the leadership of the ADC are under siege and attack in Benin, Edo State. At the formal declaration of Akpata into the ADC, armed individuals followed us from the party secretariat to the residence of John Odigie-Oyegun.
“They shot at the gate and destroyed several vehicles in what appears to be an assassination attempt on our lives. Democracy is in danger.”
Meanwhile, in photos and videos sent by Tanko, several SUV windscreens were smashed, while the gate leading to Odigie-Oyegun’s residence was riddled with bullets.
The alleged attack has heightened the political tensions in the state.
A video circulating online captures the aftermath of the incident, showing several vehicles and the estate gate riddled with bullet holes.
The incident comes barely 24 hours after the ADC candidate in the Abuja Municipal Area Council chairmanship election, Dr Moses Paul, and the Obidient Movement, on Monday, rejected the outcome of the February 21 poll, alleging widespread irregularities, insisting that the declared results did not reflect the true will of the people.
HOWEVER, Akpata, who was handed the party card by the ADC state chairman, Kennedy Odion, said he took the decision after Obi joined the party on December 31, 2025, to add value.
Akpata expressed gratitude for the warm reception, thanking the ADC for its belief in a new Nigeria and the Obidient Movement for its steadfastness.
In his remarks during the event, Obi expressed commitment to a new Nigeria, adding: “Our commitment to a new Nigeria is total, though they are doing everything possible to stop us.
“We must build a nation that works for all, not a few. This country is currently working for a few; it shouldn’t be so, we are all Nigerians.
“As a matter of fact, we must move this country from the status of consumption to production.”
Earlier, in his welcome remarks, Odion, who thanked Obi for his steadfastness, said the party is committed to building a new Nigeria.
Oyegun, on his part, said: “Our stocks are growing every day, not just in number but in quality. Nigeria is a nation that needs to be saved.”
Prof. Osunbor, who expressed optimism that the Oyegun-led coalition would lead ADC to victory in 2027, added: “Oyegun led the coalition in 2013 that led APC to victory in 2015, and he is leading the coalition now under ADC to lead us to victory in 2027. He is someone who has always led a coalition to victory. We are sure he is going to lead this coalition to victory.”
Also, HURIWArecalled vividly that the African Democratic Congress (ADC) has condemned the violent attack on the inauguration of its Transition Committee Members (TCMs) in Maiduguri, Borno State, describing the incident as an assault on democracy and constitutional rights.
The party said the attack was a direct violation of its internal democratic process and an attempt to suppress opposition activities in the state.
The condemnation was made on Friday by the Chairman of the ADC Transition, Registration and Mobilisation Committee (TRMC) in Borno State, Alhaji Ali Bukar Wurge, during a briefing in Maiduguri.
Wurge said the attack was aimed at continuing efforts to “stifle and frustrate” party members from democratically electing their leaders at the state and local government levels.
He said: “This was born out of blood and wreckage of democracy by those who claim to uphold and practise it.
“We strongly condemn the cowardly acts of political terrorism orchestrated by desperate politicians and their criminal syndicates during our inauguration of the ADC transition committee in Maiduguri.”
Wurge added that the violence went beyond a protest, describing it as an organised attempt to undermine the orderly democratic process of electing credible leaders at the state and council levels.
According to him, “This was not a protest, but an orchestrated violence against democracy and good governance, denying the people the right to elect their leaders in Borno State.”
He further alleged that the dozens of thugs involved in Friday’s attack acted on the orders of a political despot bent on suppressing opposition voices in the state.
HURIWA calls on the president to direct the police and other security for es to provide adequate security to leaders and members of a political parties to operate and move freely in all parts of Nigeria or else the other opposition parties may take steps to enforce their self defence because Nigeria belongs to all Nigerians and not to APC and their armed thugs.
Politics
Wike-engineered Land reforms unlock 26,272 property titles for FCT residents
By Our Correspondent
In a bid to encourage business growth in the Federal Capital Territory and align with President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike has issued 26,272 Certificates of Occupancy since the current administration took over.
That figure far outpaces the 8,697 land titles that were processed and approved between 2010 and 2023 combined.
During the 5½-year tenure of President Goodluck Jonathan, 5,500 Certificates of Occupancy were issued.During President Muhammadu Buhari’s 8-year tenure, 3,197 were issued.
Many of the 26,272 beneficiaries under Wike’s leadership at the FCT Administration had actually received their land allocations over a decade ago but were yet to get their official documents.
Certificate of Occupancy serves as credible security for bank loans, home mortgages, and capital needed to expand businesses.
The struggle to obtain C-of-Os on time has long been a bottleneck for small and medium enterprises, cutting them off from financing.
According to a press statement issued by Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant to the FCT Minister on Public Communications and Social Media, the Tinubu-led FCT Administration has now fast-tracked the process. In a statement released on Sunday, he said landowners can now receive their documents within 14 days of making full payment.
“The moment required payments are completed, land allottees can pick up their C-of-O within two weeks,” Olayinka stated.
He added that an automated alert system has also been rolled out so applicants get notified as soon as their papers are ready for pickup.
Olayinka blamed past delays on bureaucratic bottlenecks that discouraged people from completing payments.
Beyond the C-of-Os, the Wike-led FCT Administration has also approved 2,521 Consents to Assign and 177 Consents to Mortgage in the last three years of President Tinubu’s government.
By comparison: Jonathan’s administration granted 753 Consents to Assign and 180 Consents to Mortgage. Buhari’s 8-year government granted 684 Consents to Assign and 164 Consents to Mortgage.
A Consent to Assign is the legal clearance needed to transfer or sell a property, or to transfer loan obligations.
A Consent to Mortgage is the official approval required before a property can be pledged as loan collateral.
Politics
Osun Decides: Obi Hails Adeleke, Says People’s Power Will Always Defend Democracy
By Our Correspondent
Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) in the 2027 election, Mr Peter Obi, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, on his re-election, describing the outcome as a significant victory for democracy and a reaffirmation of the power of the electorate.
Obi, in a statement titled “Osun: When the People Stand, Democracy Wins,” said the people of Osun had spoken “with courage and clarity,” stressing that the authority to choose leaders ultimately resides with the people.
He attributed Adeleke’s renewed mandate to what he described as the governor’s commitment to the people, compassion for their needs and the achievements recorded by his administration.
The former Anambra State governor also commended youths in Osun for what he described as their peaceful and courageous defence of their democratic mandate.
According to Obi, the vigilance and determination displayed by the youths demonstrated that when citizens unite to protect their votes, “the forces of good can overcome the forces of darkness.”
He said the major lesson from the Osun election was that democracy thrives when citizens remain vigilant, understand their civic responsibilities and insist that their votes count.
Obi maintained that every legitimate vote must be respected and every lawful electoral mandate protected, urging Nigerians to draw lessons from the Osun experience ahead of the 2027 general elections.
He called on Nigerians to remain informed, participate actively in the electoral process, vote and, most importantly, protect their votes.
The NDC presidential candidate noted that Nigerians are the ones bearing the brunt of hunger, insecurity, deprivation and economic hardship, and therefore possess the power through their votes to demand the leadership and change required to address the challenges confronting the country.
He also appealed to political actors to put national interest above partisan considerations and embrace peace, unity and the rule of law.
According to him, elections should not be treated as battles to be won through violence, but as contests of ideas, competence, character and service to the people.
Obi expressed optimism that the Osun experience would renew Nigerians’ confidence in the democratic process and encourage citizens across the country to remain vigilant and committed to building a just, secure, prosperous and people-centred nation.
Politics
Fubara Unveils Reconstructed Buguma-Degema-Adonnema Road
By Our Correspondent
Governor of Rivers State, His Excellency Sir Siminalayi Fubara has unveiled the reconstructed Buguma-Degema-Abonnema Road, a major transport corridor linking communities across the Asari-Toru, Degema, and Akuku-Toru Local Government Areas.
The project, a 19.79 kilometre road was executed by Julius Berger Nigeria PLC, brings to an end the nightmares of man- hour loss and insecurity associated with the route. The long stretch of road was in a very deplorable condition before the Fubara administration awarded the contract for its rehabilitation in September 2024.
In statement by his chief Press Secretary,Onwuka Nzeshi, governor Fubara disclosed that the completion of the project with record time is the fulfillment of a personal commitment made after witnessing the severe degradation of the road during a previous visit to the area.
“It is a road that you must pass if you’re going to Abonnema. It is a road that because of its state, a lot of evil activities was taking place there. But to the glory of God today, I don’t think those negative acts can even be imagined or be carried out along that corridor again.
I made a promise to myself that day that even if it is remaining one week, we must make sure that we fix this road. Today, to the glory of God, the road has been fixed.
“I am happy that today, we are all here gathered happily that this particular dream has come to reality,” he said
Governor Fubara reiterated that his desire for the state is not just about embarking on projects but in doing those things that will touch the lives of the people positively. He reaffirmed the commitment of his administration to complete the Trans-Kalabari Highway, another major road project linking several coastal communities in the state. Governor Fubara expressed appreciation to the people for their love and cooperation especially for allowing the contractors to do their jobs without hitches.
“You have shown me so much love. Nobody can take that away. One particular project that cannot be denied is the Trans- Kalabari Road that we are doing. I want to beg you that if I cannot meet all you requests today,don’t worry, my successor will continue from where I will stop,” he said.
Special Guest of Honour, the Amanyanabo of Abonnema Kingdom, King Desrael Gbobo Bob-Manuel, who officially commissioned the project, commended the state government for its rapid Infrastructure development, noted that the rehabilitation of the road
has drastically improved travel time, safety and the living conditions of the people.
“In the past, for you to leave any of our communities to Port Harcourt, you must, as a matter of fact, go into a one-day fasting and prayers the previous day. Otherwise, you are not sure you will get to your destination.
“Today, I can leave my palace in Abonnema by 10:00 AM, and I will be wherever I want to be in Port Harcourt before 11:00 AM,” the royal father said.
King Bob-Manuel stated that the reconstructed road will not only enable the local fishermen to transport their catch directly to urban markets in Port Harcourt for better profit margins, but will open the riverine communities to new investments.
Onwuka Nzeshi
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor
August 17, 2026
.
-
Politics1 year agoGov Okpebholo moves to end Cultism *Threatens action against leading cult groups *Vows to demolish more cult houses in Edo State
-
Politics12 months agoASUU-NDU protest against FG loans, unpaid salaries,Non-Implementation of agreements …..says loans is generational slavery
-
Business & Economy1 year agoPC-NCG Issues Disclaimer on Purported Nigerian Coast Guard National Orientation Exercise In Anambra State
-
Entertainment2 years agoJubilation galore as Parishioners of CKC Kurudu celebrate their cultural heritage ….FG should exploit our Cultural heritage to unite Nigerians-Rev Fr Dim
-
Sports6 months agoBayelsa-born ex-football star’s son, Opuama donates spike shoes to Athletics Association
-
General News2 years agoReps hold public hearing on FMC Ugwuaji Awkunanaw
-
Law & Crime1 year agoLegal practitioner raises alarm over threat to his life by CSP Muhammed Abdulkareem
-
General News2 years agoCelebration galore as UDA Successfully Elected New Exco ……I will digitalize processes that will raise UDA to greater height -Comr. Okejiri
