Politics
Niger state APC Candidate for Senate contest describes exercise as “Daylight robbery “alleging attempt to compromise party procedures
By Uthman-Baba Naseer, Minna
Former Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Muhammad Nami, has described the conduct of the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary process as “ daylight robbery” in Niger South Senatorial District, alleging attempts to compromise constitutional and party procedures ahead of the election.
Nami made the allegations in a statement shared on his official Facebook timeline, where he addressed supporters across Zone A and appreciated them for their continued loyalty and commitment to his senatorial aspiration.
“ The All Progressive Congress (APC) Senatorial Primaries as conducted in Niger State,could best be described as daylight robbery. The people of Niger South Senatorial District were robbed openly by denying them to vote for their choice” Nami declared
According to the former FIRS boss, his ambition to represent Niger South in the Senate was driven by a desire to create opportunities for disadvantaged communities and attract meaningful development to the district.
He disclosed that in recent days, efforts were made among aspirants, including some reportedly not cleared by the APC, to reach an amicable understanding that could produce a consensus candidate ahead of the party primaries.
However, Nami alleged that certain forces within the state political structure orchestrated moves aimed at bypassing due process in the emergence of candidates for the 2027 general elections.
The former FIRS chairman stated that the development frustrated ongoing reconciliation efforts among aspirants but insisted that he remained committed to pursuing his political ambition.
He further pledged to continue supporting the people of Niger South through developmental initiatives regardless of the outcome of the APC primary election.
As part of the commitment, Nami directed his local government coordinators and trusted party members to begin modalities for the distribution of projects and scholarship programmes earlier promised to beneficiaries across the senatorial district.
He also appealed to supporters and APC members to remain calm, peaceful, and law-abiding, stressing that violence should not be entertained as political events continue to unfold.
Nami assured supporters that further directives regarding the next line of action would be communicated in due course.
Politics
Obi Scales Through NDC Screening as 2027 Race Begins to Take Shape
By Our Correspondent
Former Presidential candidate for Labour Party (LP) in 2023 election who emerges as Presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC)Mr Peter Obi, has been screened by Screening committee of the party as the NDC steps up preparations for the 2027 general elections.
The screening, held at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja, Tuesday conducted by a committee chaired by former minister, Sam Egwu, and lasted for over two hours.
Speaking after the exercise, Obi dismissed suggestions that he had been automatically adopted as a consensus candidate, stressing that the process was still open and competitive.
He maintained that he simply followed due process by purchasing the party’s nomination form and submitting himself for screening.
He praised the NDC’s approach, describing the exercise as orderly and a demonstration of internal party democracy, while urging consistency in transparent political practices.
Obi said his campaign focus remains on national renewal, with emphasis on security, poverty reduction, and rebuilding public trust in governance.
According to him, Nigeria must become a country where citizens can live and travel without fear, and where public resources serve the wider population rather than a few individuals.
Addressing speculation about a possible entry of former President Goodluck Jonathan into the race, Obi said he was not distracted by who else might contest, insisting his attention was on presenting solutions to Nigeria’s challenges.
The NDC screening is part of early internal processes ahead of what is expected to be a highly competitive 2027 election cycle.
Politics
2027:PDP Clears Jonathan as Sole Presidential Candidate
By Our Correspondent
As jostling for 2027 presidential election heats up, Taminu Turaki-led Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP), has cleared former president Goodluck Jonathan as its sole presidential candidate.
NATIONAL POST reports that Jonathan’s emergence was announced by the screening committee on Tuesday.
Former Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu, who chaired the screening committee, announced this after the screening exercise.
Meanwhile, a chieftain of the PDP, Umar Sani, has confirmed that Jonathan purchased the party’s nomination form.
Sani made the disclosure during an appearance on Trust TV on Tuesday.
According to him, Jonathan’s actions indicate serious interest in returning to partisan politics ahead of the next presidential election.
“In politics, what is important is action. If you are interested, there are processes you have to follow, one of which is the procurement of nomination forms. He has done that,” Sani said.
When asked if Jonathan had indeed obtained the form, Sani replied: “Yes and in fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly
Politics
Bayelsa- East PDP Zones Senatorial Ticket To Brass Constituency ll
By David Owei
In a major move aimed at deepening justice, equity, fairness, and political inclusion within the Bayelsa East Senatorial District, leaders and stakeholders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from Ogbia, Nembe, and Brass Local Government Areas have unanimously resolved to zone the party’s 2027 Senatorial ticket to Brass Constituency II and the 2031 ticket to Nembe Constituency II for a single four-year term, respectively.
The landmark resolution was reached during a strategic meeting of party leaders and stakeholders held at the Yenagoa residence of the State Chairman of the PDP, Hon. Barr. Alabh George Turnah, MON, and presided over by the Bayelsa East Senatorial District Vice Chairman of the party, Hon. Andy West Majors.
This was contained in a press statement signed by Kelvin LoveDay – Egbo ,Media Assistant to the Bayelsa PDP chairman.
According to the stakeholders, the decision was taken in the overall interest of peace, unity, inclusion, and balanced political representation across the Senatorial District, noting that by 2031, all State Constituencies within Bayelsa East would have effectively produced a Senator under the existing rotational arrangement.
The leaders explained that the Senate seat rotation within the district has followed a stable and divinely guided progression since 1999, beginning with Senator Melford Okilo from Ogbia Constituency I, followed by Senator Inatimi Spiff of Brass Constituency I, and Senator Nimi Barigha Amange of Nembe Constituency I.
The rotation later returned to Ogbia with Senator Clever Ikisikpo of Ogbia Constituency III, then moved to Brass through Senator Ben Murray-Bruce of Brass Constituency III, and subsequently to Nembe with Senator Degi Ereminyo of Nembe Constituency III. The current occupant of the seat, Senator Benson Agadaga, is from Ogbia Constituency II.
The stakeholders therefore maintained that in line with the principles of justice, equity, and fairness, it is only proper for Brass Constituency II to produce the party’s Senatorial candidate in 2027, while Nembe Constituency II takes its turn in 2031.
They further resolved that beginning from 2035, the Bayelsa East Senatorial ticket of the PDP shall no longer be subjected to zoning or rotation, stressing that competence, performance, capacity, and the ability to provide effective representation would henceforth determine who emerges as candidate of the party.
According to them, the decision signals the beginning of a new political era anchored on merit, practical development, and quality representation capable of advancing the collective interest of the people of Bayelsa East Senatorial District.
The stakeholders reaffirmed their commitment to the unity and growth of the PDP in Bayelsa East and pledged continued support for the leadership of the party under Hon. Barr. Alabh George Turnah, MON, whom they commended for promoting inclusiveness, political stability, and purposeful leadership across the state.
-
Politics1 year agoGov Okpebholo moves to end Cultism *Threatens action against leading cult groups *Vows to demolish more cult houses in Edo State
-
Politics9 months agoASUU-NDU protest against FG loans, unpaid salaries,Non-Implementation of agreements …..says loans is generational slavery
-
Business & Economy9 months agoPC-NCG Issues Disclaimer on Purported Nigerian Coast Guard National Orientation Exercise In Anambra State
-
Entertainment2 years agoJubilation galore as Parishioners of CKC Kurudu celebrate their cultural heritage ….FG should exploit our Cultural heritage to unite Nigerians-Rev Fr Dim
-
Sports3 months agoBayelsa-born ex-football star’s son, Opuama donates spike shoes to Athletics Association
-
General News2 years agoReps hold public hearing on FMC Ugwuaji Awkunanaw
-
General News2 years agoCelebration galore as UDA Successfully Elected New Exco ……I will digitalize processes that will raise UDA to greater height -Comr. Okejiri
-
Law & Crime10 months agoLegal practitioner raises alarm over threat to his life by CSP Muhammed Abdulkareem
