Law & Crime
Stakeholders condemn prolonged detention of Sylva’s brother, aides Allege political persecution
By David. Owei,Bayelsa
Stakeholders under auspices of the Centre for Justice and Equity (CJE), have condemned the continuous detention of the younger brother and aides of former Bayelsa State Governor, Timipre Sylva, describing the development as “deliberate, calculated and premeditated torture”.
The stakeholders in a statement issued on Thursday in Lagos, decried what it referred to as the prolonged and unexplained incarceration of the detainees, several months after their arrest, without clear charges being made public.
The Spokesperson of CJE, Chief Igoni A. Lawrence, said the group had closely monitored the case since the raid on Sylva’s residence in November last year, during which four individuals were arrested.
The group said: “We have been following this case since Chief Sylva’s residence was raided in November last year and four persons were arrested over alleged offences the public is still not aware of.
“Perhaps there is more to this matter than meets the eye. These men have remained in detention for months without clarity on the allegations against them.”
The stakeholders further expressed concern over the repeated adjournment of the case by the Federal High Court, noting that the latest postponement had deepened the anguish of the detainees and their families.
The group said: “The Federal High Court had fixed today, 18 February, for the commencement of trial after months of detention. We mobilised to be in court to offer moral support, only to be informed that the matter had been adjourned to 19 March 2026.
“This has subjected the detainees and their traumatised families to yet another month of emotional distress. At this rate, there is no guarantee that even the new date will bring any meaningful progress.”
The CJE warned that the continued detention, without trial or publicly stated charges, appeared “planned and calculated”, raising serious concerns about the rule of law and due process.
The stakeholders said: “If these men are to be tried for any offence whatsoever, then justice must take centre stage.
“Arbitrary and prolonged detention is a stain on our democracy. It undermines public confidence in our judicial system and must be rejected by all well-meaning Nigerians.”
The group called on the Federal Government, the judiciary and relevant authorities to ensure that the matter is handled transparently and in accordance with the law.
CJE named persons detained as Mr Paganengigha Anagha Sylva, the younger brother of the former governor; his police orderly, Ayuba Reuben; his personal driver, Musa Mohammed; and escort driver, Sunday Lusa Paul.
The four were arrested during the November raid and reportedly spent the entire festive season in custody.
The Federal High Court had initially fixed 19 February 2026 for the hearing, raising hopes among family members and supporters. Those hopes were, however, dashed when the court adjourned the matter to 19 March 2026, prolonging their incarceration amid mounting allegations of political intimidation linked to ongoing intra-party and opposition dynamics in Bayelsa State.
Law & Crime
Niger state Police Command urges newly promoted ASPs to reciprocate new ranks,imbibe discipline in discharge of duty
BY UTHMAN BABA-NASEER,MINNA
Newly promoted Assistant Superintendent of Police,(ASPs) in Niger State Police Command,have been admonished to reciprocate their new ranks by imbibing culture of discipline in the discharge of their duty.

They have also been reminded to see their promotions as additional responsibility that will spur them to discharge their police duty inline with the ethical responsibility of the police act.
Decorating the newly promoted Assistant Superintendent of Police (Asps) at the Command headquarters in Minna, Thursday, the Commissioner of Police in Niger State,CP Adamu Abdullahi Elleman warned noted that with their new ranks,more is expected of them towards ensuring their full confirmation on the status of the Assistant Superintendent.
“ Be reminded that you will be on this Asp on probation for the next two years. After which if you worth the second star that will confirm your additional second star then you will be promoted to the full fledge Asps
“ But for now see the one star as a probational one until after two years that you have to leave up to the responsibility of the additional task of your elevation,then you will be confirmed as full fledged Asp with two stars” he told the newly promoted Asps.
According to the Commissioner of Police, a total of twenty six thousand (26,000)Inspectors across the country were confirmed for promotion to the Assistant Superintendent of Police ( Asp II) by the Inspector General of Police IGP Kayode Egbetokun out of which four hundred and fourteen (414) benefited from Niger state Police Command by the Police Service Commission (PSC), “ after successful evaluation during the recently conducted Departmental Selection Board (DBS) for Inspectors”
He commended them for their efforts stating that the greatest joy of every officer lies in promotion to the next rank. He welcomed the new ASPs to the privileged senior officers cadre of the Force whilst admonishing them to gear up for the task ahead, as to whom much is given, much more is expected. He charged the officers to conduct themselves accordingly with the highest level of discipline, commitment and professionalism befitting of the new ranks they now carry.
He also reminded the beneficiaries that the first two years of the rank is a probationary period to determine their capabilities before confirmation to the next rank of ASP I.
The Commissioner of Police therefore urged them to remain dedicated in their duties and continue to prove themselves as worthy senior police officers.
While congratulating them for their elevation CP Adamu Elleman prayed for them to leave up to the responsibility of their added in their task of policing the state and country as a whole.
Some of the newly promoted ASPs decorated by the CP include ASP Sule Usman, ASP Lafiyagi Umar, ASP Habila Abu, ASP Ernest Ekhator, ASP Perpetual Terungwa, ASP Sallah Obadiah, ASP Jane Mathew, ASP Sunday Hosea, ASP Oodo Obekpa, ASP Saratu Bulus, ASP Rakiya Gambo, ASP Aliyu Yakubu, ASP Lawrence Mowette, ASP Edache John, ASP Ibrahim Istifanus, ASP Bello Adamu, ASP Apochi Anthony, ASP Deborah Daniel, ASP Lohya Emmanuel, ASP Sonfada Ibrahim, ASP Esther Philip and ASP Muhammad Salisu.
On behalf of the newly promoted officers, ASP Hosea Sunday gave the vote of thanks where he expressed gratitude to God and appreciating the PSC, the IGP as well as the CP for deeming them worthy of elevation to the esteemed rank of ASP II, whilst promising continuous dedication, commitment and improved performance in the discharge of their duties.
Law & Crime
NDLEA Arrests 600 Suspects, Seized 621.556 kg of Drugs ln Bayelsa
By David Owei,Bayelsa
State Commander of NDLEA Bayelsa Command,Kanu Sunny Chukwuemeka, CN said the State command has arrested 600 suspects and seized 621.556 kg of drugs in Bayelsa state in 2025
This was contained in a press statement signed by the command,s public Relations Officer, SN Daniel Howells Obah and made available to journalists.
According to him, out of the 600 suspects, 407 were males while 193 were females,just as drugs worth 621.556 kg were seized .
He said the command in the year under review embarked on series of under cover operations, motorised patrols and raids of drug joints, shops/ houses, hotels and bars as well as other means of transportation used for various drug crimes as efforts aimed at cutting down the supply and reducing the demand for drug abuse in the state .
“A total of 51,445 tablets/ capsules, 658 Ampoules of injection bottles and 224 bottles of codeine of various psychotropic substances and opiods were seized
*Combined mixture of cannabis sativa and alcohol ( popularly known as koskorin, monkey tail or wisdom wine) measuring 435.055 Litres and a weight of 365.53 Kilogrammes*, is the most prevalent substance that is commonly abused in Bayelsa State in 2025. Those in age bracket 21- 25 years abuse drugs more.
The street value of drugs seized is= *N64,783, 951.1”
He further stated that from their records Yenagoa Local Government area had 407 arrests, and Ogbia Local Government area with 79 arrests came first and second highest on arrests.
On prosecution , he said “Twenty (20) cases were filed at the Federal High Court Yenagoa, and secured eight (08) Convictions.
Three (03) cases struck out, one (01) withdrawn finally.
Commenting *On Treatment and Rehabilitation*
He said “A total of *621* comprising of *461* male and *160* female persons were referred from our Investigation Unit for counselling.
The Command also successfully rehabilitated a total *34* Clients after completing their three months mandatory period of counseling. Others are still undergoing the process in our facility”
He also frown at drug abuse integrity test,saying “A total of *671* Drug Integrity Test was carried out for students and non students, as well as clients admitted at the Command rehab centre.
The State Commander Kanu Sunny Chukwuemaka, CN lamented on the increasing level of abuse of cannabis sativa in the state. According to him, “more Bayelsans are failing the Drug Integrity Test due to the abuse of cannabis sativa mixed with alcohol popularly known as monkey tail or koskorin and other different illicit substances.
He therefore called on the State Government, the Bayelsa State Drug Abuse Prevention Addiction and Rehabitation Committee (BADAPARC) and relevant stakeholders to join hands with the agency to ensure that substance abuse is brought down to the barest minimum in the state.
Law & Crime
Ebonyi communal clash : Nwifuru reviews curfew, applies stringent measures to warring communities.
By Our Correspondent
Unhappy with the observation of state of security in the war-thorn communities in the state,State government has reviewed the curfew earlier imposed on Amassiri Autonomous Community to run from 6.00pm to 7.00am daily.
Governor Francis Nwifuru said that after careful deliberation and consideration of ongoing investigations, as well as progress made by security agencies, the Council deemed it necessary to adjust the curfew.
The Governor made this known while addressing newsmen on the outcome of the state security council meeting held in his office, government House, Ceninary city, Abakaliki.
He said that the Council deliberated on key measures required to restore total normalcy to Okorojo and Amasiri Atromus communities and resolved that urgent steps must be taken to demonstrate government’s commitment to protecting lives and property.
Nwifuru disclosed that the Council further agreed that all persons arrested in connection with the crisis between the affected communities should be charged to court without delay, rather than remaining in police custody.
He also emphasized the need to recover the remains of those killed during the violence, noting that additional measures would be put in place to achieve this.
“The Ebonyi State Security Council met on February 17, 2026, at the Executive Council Chamber, Government House, Abakaliki.
“At the meeting, the Council reviewed the curfew earlier imposed on Amassiri Autonomous Community. After careful deliberation and consideration of ongoing investigations, as well as progress made by security agencies, the Council adjusted the curfew to run from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily.
“The Council deliberated on key measures required to restore total normalcy to Asri Okorojo and Aqua Atromus communities. It resolved that urgent steps must be taken to demonstrate government’s commitment to protecting lives and property.
“The Council further agreed that all persons arrested in connection with the crisis between the affected communities should be charged to court without delay, rather than remaining in police custody.
It also emphasized the need to recover the remains of those killed during the violence, noting that additional measures would be put in place to achieve this
Responding to questions from journalists, the governor said that the Council noted that many arrests have been made in connection with the crisis resulting to relative peace in the area, but that under the law, every suspect remains innocent until proven guilty by a court of law
On the closure of schools, he explained that reopening was not discussed during the meeting, but that schools in the affected communities will remain closed pending further review at the next Council meeting.
He maintained that the curfew and other measures were imposed strictly to maintain law and order and to protect lives and property.
He assured the public that arrests and investigations are ongoing and pledged that all those found culpable will be prosecuted in accordance with the law.
The governor expressed confidence that the measures being implemented will restore lasting peace to the affected
-
Politics6 months agoASUU-NDU protest against FG loans, unpaid salaries,Non-Implementation of agreements …..says loans is generational slavery
-
Politics9 months agoGov Okpebholo moves to end Cultism *Threatens action against leading cult groups *Vows to demolish more cult houses in Edo State
-
Business & Economy6 months agoPC-NCG Issues Disclaimer on Purported Nigerian Coast Guard National Orientation Exercise In Anambra State
-
Entertainment2 years agoJubilation galore as Parishioners of CKC Kurudu celebrate their cultural heritage ….FG should exploit our Cultural heritage to unite Nigerians-Rev Fr Dim
-
General News2 years agoReps hold public hearing on FMC Ugwuaji Awkunanaw
-
General News2 years agoCelebration galore as UDA Successfully Elected New Exco ……I will digitalize processes that will raise UDA to greater height -Comr. Okejiri
-
Law & Crime9 months agoICPC pledges to collaborate with FIDA to end Sex for Marks in tertiary institutions
-
Law & Crime7 months agoLegal practitioner raises alarm over threat to his life by CSP Muhammed Abdulkareem
