Law & Crime
Rivers Cult War claims 3 lives, 3 arrested
By Our Reporter
No fewer than three persons have been feared dead in a clash between rival cult groups in Onne, Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State.
A source told newsmen that the clash which resulted to a sporadic gunfire in the area, with some houses allegedly burnt, forced residents to flee, disrupting the peace of the community.
Daily Echoes Media gathered that a renown cultist identified as ‘Small Lighter, who had been terrorising the area was among those killed in the cult clash.
It was gathered that one of the groups had initially launched an attack on the other on Friday night, killing two members, which led to a reprisal attack on Saturday.
The spokesperson of the police command, SP Grace Iringe-Koko confirmed the the incident, adding that three suspects have been arrested.
Law & Crime
Counsel to Nembe Kingdom berates Aiteo for resorting to technicalities to evade environmental justice
By David Owei,Bayelsa
Counsel to the Opu Nembe Kingdom, Barrister Chigozie Inwere, has berated the use of technicalities like frivolous interlocutory appeals to delay the dispensation of justice while substantive cases remained pending.
The Nembe Kingdom in Nembe and Brass Local Government Areas in Bayelsa is seeking legal redress for pollution occasioned by oil spills from Oil Mining Lease (OML) 29 in 2019 and 2020 to the tune of over N122 billion.
OML 29 is operated by Nembe Exploration and Production Ltd, formerly Aiteo Eastern Exploration and Production Company Ltd.
The plaintiff had in its originating summons made a typographical error in the spelling of the oil firm’s name in the suit and Aiteo filed a motion for preliminary objection urging the court to dismiss the case on grounds of the error.
The trial judge dismissed the motion and held that it cannot dismiss the substantive case on grounds of typographical error and subsequently granted a motion for the plaintiffs to correct the error.
Aiteo subsequently filed an interlocutory appeal at the Port Harcourt Division of the Court of Appeal to challenge the decision of the trial court.
The plaintiff’s counsel described the appeal filed by Aiteo Eastern and Exploration Company against the ruling of the Federal High Court in Yenagoa as another critical phase in the kingdom’s ongoing pursuit of environmental justice over alleged oil spill incidents in the kingdom.
Reacting to the appeal, Inwere, who stood in for lead counsel Iniruo Wills, said the substantive environmental issues before the court must not be overshadowed by procedural contests and technicalities.
“These repeated incidents show a pattern of evading operational failure and environmental neglect. Communities have suffered years of pollution, loss of livelihoods, and delayed justice. The courts must ensure that substance prevails over technical delays, and that accountability is finally achieved,” he noted.
The trial court had also affirmed that environmental justice claims arising from alleged oil pollution could not be defeated by technical irregularities and subsequently granted an application correcting the corporate identity of the defendant in the suit.
Inwere explained that he matter of preliminary objection is now before the Court of Appeal as Aiteo seeks to overturn the ruling of the lower court and potentially suspend further proceedings in the substantive case.
Meanwhile, the main suit remains pending before the Federal High Court in Yenagoa and is scheduled for hearing on June 15, 2026.
Law & Crime
Niger state NcoS Comptroller solicits partnership with sister security agencies to strengthen inter agency synergy to ensure speedy administration of criminal justice
By Uthman-Baba Naseer,Minna
The Newly posted Controller of Nigerian Correctional Service (NcoS), Niger State Command, Mr. Ogunleye Seyi Oladipupo CC has solicited for collaboration with other sister Security agencies and Law Enforcement Agencies to strengthen inter agency synergy to safeguard Custodial facilities across the state to ensure the speedy administration of criminal justice.
He made the request during a visit to other security and law enforcement agencies in the state aimed at partnering with his command to assist in securing the Custodial facilities across the state.
Among the agencies visited sofar, include the Department of State Security Service,the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Nigeria Immigration Service,Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission, (ICPC), Nigeria Army-31 Artillery Brigade and Nigeria Customs Service.
Speaking during the visits, CC Ogunleye conveyed the goodwill message of the Controller General of Corrections, Sylvester Ndidi Nwakuche and emphasized that no single agency can guarantee national security in isolation.
“Security is a shared responsibility. The Nigerian Correctional Service relies on robust synergy with sister security agencies for intelligence sharing, rapid response, secure and humane movement of inmates to courts.
“This visit is to reaffirm our commitment to partnership and to seek your continued support in safeguarding Custodial Centres across Niger State”he stated.
The heads of the various agencies commended the Controller for the initiative and pledged to deepen cooperation with the Command.
They noted that the recent stability in Niger State’s security architecture is a product of joint efforts and assured the NCoS of prompt support in areas of intelligence, beefing up security and emergency response.
CC Ogunleye Seyi Oladipupo was accompanied by the Officer in Charge of Medium Security Custodial Centre, Minna Old, CSC Operations, Squadron commander of the Armed squad unit, Protocol officer and the Public Relations Officer ii.
“The Nigerian Correctional Service, Niger State, reiterates its commitment to secure, humane and lawful Custody of all persons legally interned, in line with the NCoS Act 2019 and global best practices” the Controller added.
Law & Crime
HURIWA condemns Fresh Massacre in Plateau State …Accuses FG of Indifference to Human Bloodshed
By George Mgbeleke
The Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) strongly condemns the latest barbaric and blood-curdling massacre of innocent citizens in Ngbra Zongo community of Kwall District, Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State, where no fewer than 13 persons were gruesomely murdered by heavily armed attackers, with scores left critically injured.
In a statement signed by HURIWA’s National Coordinator, Comrade Emmanuel Nnadozie,This latest carnage is yet another painful reminder that Plateau State has been abandoned to bloodthirsty killers who continue to invade communities, slaughter defenceless citizens and disappear without resistance or consequences.
“We blame President Bola Ahmed Tinubu whose insensitivity and reckless view of the killings as direct political attack on his second term ambition has made him not to confront these killers, arrests them, prosecute them and ensure that they receive the maximum sentence of death by firing squads. Why should the president reduce these acts of pure terrorism and genocides to mere political attacks against his so-called second term ambition? This is shameful.”
“We blame the Plateau State governor Caleb Mutfwang for his lack of idea on how to stand with his people, failing negligently to effectively arm them, mobilise them, organise them to confront the agents of genocides that have been unleashed on the Plateau State Christians.
“The current Plateau State administration is such a government that has demonstrated again and again a total sense of lack of any workable plans to prevent the ongoing genocides of their people by mostly armed Fulani terrorists. It is a massive disappointment that even after the Plateau State governor jumped into the National ruling party by abandoning the political party whose mandate to govern Plateau State he got freely from the people, the President and his new party the All Progressives Congress still abandoned the people of Plateau State to be killed progressively.
“This is satanic and absolutely reprehensible. We condemn these attacks vehemently and we condemn both the Plateau State governor and the president for spectacularly failing to defend the people of Plateau State. The President should give all law abiding adults of Plateau State origin Ak-49 and AK-47 to defend their undeniable fundamental human right to life.”
HURIWA is deeply alarmed that despite repeated killings across Plateau communities in recent months, including the earlier massacre in Barkin Ladi and other parts of the state, the Federal Government has continued to demonstrate shocking insensitivity, weak political will and unacceptable indifference to the suffering of the people.
It is disgraceful and utterly disappointing that after previous mass killings in Plateau State, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu merely stopped at the airport during his visit without showing genuine empathy, compassion or solidarity with grieving families whose loved ones were brutally murdered. Nigerians expected a Commander-in-Chief who would personally visit affected communities, comfort survivors, inspect the devastation and take decisive action against the perpetrators. Instead, what the nation witnessed was a distant and detached response that conveyed little urgency or humanity.
HURIWA states unequivocally that the continuous massacre of innocent Plateau citizens has become a national emergency and a direct indictment on the security architecture of Nigeria. It is unacceptable that communities are repeatedly attacked at midnight by armed killers who move from house to house executing innocent villagers while security agencies appear perpetually reactive and ineffective.
The association warns that the repeated failure to arrest, prosecute and publicly expose the masterminds behind these atrocities is emboldening criminal elements and deepening public distrust in government’s capacity to protect lives and property.
We demand the immediate deployment of reinforced security personnel to vulnerable communities across Plateau State, especially Bassa and Barkin Ladi Local Government Areas. We also call for a transparent and independent investigation into the recurring killings with clear timelines for arrests and prosecution of all those responsible.
HURIWA further urges the Federal Government to stop issuing routine condemnations after every massacre and begin taking concrete preventive measures to halt the relentless bloodshed in Plateau and other troubled parts of Nigeria.
The blood of innocent Nigerians must not become cheaper than political convenience.
-
Politics12 months agoGov Okpebholo moves to end Cultism *Threatens action against leading cult groups *Vows to demolish more cult houses in Edo State
-
Politics9 months agoASUU-NDU protest against FG loans, unpaid salaries,Non-Implementation of agreements …..says loans is generational slavery
-
Business & Economy9 months agoPC-NCG Issues Disclaimer on Purported Nigerian Coast Guard National Orientation Exercise In Anambra State
-
Entertainment2 years agoJubilation galore as Parishioners of CKC Kurudu celebrate their cultural heritage ….FG should exploit our Cultural heritage to unite Nigerians-Rev Fr Dim
-
Sports3 months agoBayelsa-born ex-football star’s son, Opuama donates spike shoes to Athletics Association
-
General News2 years agoReps hold public hearing on FMC Ugwuaji Awkunanaw
-
General News2 years agoCelebration galore as UDA Successfully Elected New Exco ……I will digitalize processes that will raise UDA to greater height -Comr. Okejiri
-
Law & Crime10 months agoLegal practitioner raises alarm over threat to his life by CSP Muhammed Abdulkareem
