Law & Crime
OTAKEME LEADERSHIP CRISIS: Bayelsa Govt Constitutes Conflict Resolution Committee
By David Owei, Yenagoa.
Bayelsa State Government has set up a 6- man committee to investigate the lingering intra communal conflict in Otakeme, in Ogbia Local Government Area of the state in a bid to restore enduring peace and stability.
The Deputy Governor, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo on Tuesday constituted the committee during a meeting with stakeholders of Otakeme community in Government House, Yenagoa.
A statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant to the Deputy Governor, Mr Doubara Atasi, announced membership of the committee to include, the Deputy Chief of Staff, Deputy Governor’s Office, Comrade Gowon Toruyouyei, Commissioner for Community Development, Chief Watson Belemote and Commissioner for Information, Strategy and Orientation, Ebiuwou Koku-Obiyai.
Others are the Chairman of Ogbia Local Government Council, Mr Jeremiah Golden, Technical Advisers to the Governor on Special Duties, Mr Richard Perekeme and Mr Timidi Wariowei
The statement quoted the Deputy Governor as charging members of the committee to painstakingly look into the issues surrounding the leadership tussle in Otakeme community and submit its report to government within 3 weeks time for necessary action.
Senator Ewhrudjakpo, who mandated members of the committee to wade into the allegations levelled against the Chairman of the Otakeme Council of Chiefs, urged the committee to ensure fair hearing for all parties involved in the dispute.
He advised the people to sink their differences and encourage a harmonious and peaceful co-existence, noting that a community such as Otakeme should not allow itself to be embroiled in leadership issues that had lingered for the past 52 years.
The deputy governor explained that the state government had earlier taken the decision to suspend the community’s festival in order to avert a likely breach of the peace.
His words: “Government actually had credible evidence that there was likely going to be a breach of the peace because two parties were laying claim to the community leadership and wanted to organise the community’s festival.
“And so, government directed the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs to suspend the ceremony because a government that is responsible and responsive will not fold its arns and allow such a situation to degenerate further.”
In his remarks, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Chief Thompson Amule, said efforts made to get the warring factions of the community to resolve the matter had remained futile.
Also, Prof. Edmund Allison-Oguru, a stakeholder of the Otakeme community and former Secretary to the State Government, explained that the communal misunderstanding escalated when some individuals attempted to forcefully take over the governance of the community last year.
He thanked the state government for its intervention in the matter and expressed optimism that it would take measures at enthroning lasting peace and stability in the community.
In their separate remarks, stakeholders of Otakeme community, Chief Charles Paul and Chief Godwill Asuo, said the leadership impasse in the Otakeme community had lingered for too long and therefore appealed to government to address the issues without further delay.
Law & Crime
Bye-Election: Police Restrict Movement In Rivers Ahead of Saturday Polls
By Our Correspondent
The Rivers State Police Command has announced a restriction of movement in Ahoada East and Khana Local Government Areas ahead of the Rivers State House of Assembly bye-elections. today.
Public Relations Officer for the state Police Command CSP Grace Iringe-Koko in a statement on Friday stated that the restriction will take effect from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., aimed at ensuring a peaceful, free, fair, and credible election.
Iringe-Koko further disclosed that security personnel will be deployed across the affected areas, including polling units, major roads, and other strategic locations, to prevent violence, electoral malpractice, and other criminal activities.
The PPRO advised residents to comply fully with the restrictions and avoid gatherings near polling centres, as well as refrain from carrying weapons or suspicious items.
She reaffirmed the position of the State Commissioner of Police, stressing
According to her, the Commissioner of Police, Olugbenga Adepoju, has warned that anyone who flouts the directive or attempts to disrupt the electoral process will face arrest and prosecution.
The CP also called on political parties, candidates and their supporters to comply fully with the Electoral Act and other applicable laws throughout the exercise.
He urged parents and guardians to warn their children against allowing themselves to be used to foment unrest before, during or after the polls.
The Commissioner of Police assured residents that the Command is collaborating closely with other security agencies to maintain a secure environment, enabling eligible voters to exercise their franchise freely and without fear of intimidation.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Olugbenga Adepoju, psc, mnips, further advises all political parties, candidates, and their supporters to shun violence and adhere strictly to the provisions of the Electoral Act and other relevant laws guiding the conduct of elections.
“The cooperation of residents is highly required to ensure a peaceful and successful bye-election in the affected constituencies. The Police and other security agencies remain committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all law-abiding citizens to exercise their civic rights without fear or intimidation.”
Law & Crime
Bayelsa Police Arrest Fake Military Personnel And Naval Impostor,Recovery Of Exhibits
By Owei David, Yenagoa
The Bayelsa State Police Command, under the leadership of CP Iyamah Daniel Edebor psc, IICFIP, foosi has recorded significant operational success in its sustained efforts to curb criminal activities across the State, in two separate operations.
This was contained in a press statement signed by DSP Musa Mohammed,Police Public Relations Officer of the Bayelsa state command and made available to journalists
According to the statement,on 13th February, 2026, at about 1500 hours, operatives attached to Ekeki Division, arrested Kelechi Lazarus ‘m’, 25 years old, dressed in military camouflage uniform with the rank of Corporal, who attempted to fraudulently withdraw the sum of Two Hundred Thousand Naira (N200,000) at Ekeki Park, Yenagoa by sending fake alert to the POS operator.
Preliminary investigation reveals that the suspect showed the victim a purported credit alert on his mobile phone as proof of transfer. However, the victim did not receive any corresponding alert on her device and insisted on verification at her bank. Upon inquiry, the bank confirmed that no such transaction was made into her account.
Consequently, the suspect thereafter persuaded the POS operator to accompany him to his bank for further clarification but later changed his mind and suggested proceeding to his base at 16 Brigade. Suspecting foul play, the victim declined. The suspect assaulted her, inflicting bodily injuries on her.
The POS operator immediately alerted the Police control room, in which operatives attached to Ekeki Police Division, swung into action and arrested the suspect. Upon search, illicit substances were recovered from him. Investigation further revealed that the suspect had allegedly defrauded several members of the public in different states using similar modus oprandi.
The Commissioner of Police promptly contacted the Military Police of 16 Brigade for verification of the suspect identity and was confirmed a dismissed soldier from 82 division, Enugu in 2024.The case has been transferred to State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) for discreet investigation. Thereafter, suspect will be charge to court.
• In a related development, on 16th February, 2026, at about 1650 hours, troops of 16 Brigade, Yenagoa, arrested and handed over one suspect, Isah Aliyu Umar ‘M’ 25 years old, a native of Bauchi State but resident in Kaduna State to the Bayelsa State Criminal Investiaation Department, (SCID) Yenagoa. The suspect was arrested at the16 Brigade Mosque premises Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
Preliminary investigation reveals that, the suspect has been parading himself as a Lieutenant in the Nigeria Navy across various States. A search was conducted on him and the following exhibits were recovered: several falsified documents, Nigeria Navy name tag, wallet containing several SIM cards, several passport photographs, one amouflage trousers, one Navy trousers, one Oppo Android phone, three National Identity Cards, one fake DNV Management System Certificate and one fake report on ownership of Seven Million Dollars by Ganjuwa Gorond Global Enterprise.
The suspect is currently undergoing investigation at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) Yenagoa. Suspect will be charged to court at the conclusion of investigation.
The Command therefore advise members of the public to be cautious of individuals parading themselves as security personnel without proper identification. Anyone With useful information relating to this suspect or similar activities is advised to report to the nearest Police Station.
Law & Crime
Fear grips residents of Ibadan as suspected herdsmen behead woman … Council boss appeals for calm, reaffirms reinforcement of ban on open grazing
By Our Correspondent
There was panic and fear among residents of Ido Local Government Area of Oyo State following the brutal killing of a woman by suspected herdsmen in Ido Local Government Area of the state .
The incident which occurred in the evening of Wednesday has left hundreds of residents of the area in shock and fear of renewed hostilities between residents of the area and herders .
The victim, one Mrs. Misitura Akanke, was attacked when she went to gather vegetables in a nearby bush, and the attackers reportedly raped and killed her at
Oderemi Village in Ido Local Government Area of Oyo State.
An Amotekun officer who tried to intervene was also attacked and injured.
The incident has sparked serious security concern, with calls on authorities to intervene and ensure justice is served.
The Chairman of Ido Local Government, Hon. Sheriff Adeojo, who appealed for calm , reaffirmed the enforcement of the ban on open grazing within the council area, ordering its immediate implementation following the deadly incident involving suspected herders.
In a statement released on Thursday, Adeojo announced that the directive became necessary after the killing of Mrs. Misitura Akanke, who was reportedly attacked on her farm at Oderemi Village in Ido Local Government Area of Oyo State.
The chairman described the incident as tragic and deeply regrettable, while expressing condolences to the family of the deceased. He noted that the killing underscores the urgent need for stricter enforcement of the state’s anti–open grazing law to safeguard lives and property.
“I write to commiserate with the family of Mrs. Misitura Akanke, who was unfortunately killed by suspected herdsmen in Oderemi Village. This unfortunate incident further highlights the necessity for firm and consistent enforcement of the state law banning open grazing,” the statement read.
In pursuance of the Oyo State 2019 Anti–Open Grazing Law enacted by the Oyo State House of Assembly, the directive of His Imperial Majesty, Oba Senator Rasidi Adewolu Ladoja, the Olubadan of Ibadanland, and following a series of engagements with Miyetti Allah on modern ranching practices, open grazing has been officially prohibited across Ido Local Government Area.
” The prohibition is aimed at promoting sustainable agricultural practices, protecting farmlands, and ensuring lasting peace and security in all communities within the local government area.
Compliance with this directive is mandatory, as the policy applies uniformly to all stakeholders without exception. The local government has warned that any individual or group found to be violating the ban will be subject to appropriate legal action in accordance with the law.
Adeojo emphasized that the local government would work closely with relevant security agencies to ensure full compliance with the law, warning that violators would face the full weight of the law.
He assured residents of the council area that the administration was committed to maintaining peace, protecting farmers, and preventing a recurrence of such incidents. He urged community members to cooperate with authorities by providing timely information that could help avert security threats.
-
Politics6 months agoASUU-NDU protest against FG loans, unpaid salaries,Non-Implementation of agreements …..says loans is generational slavery
-
Politics10 months agoGov Okpebholo moves to end Cultism *Threatens action against leading cult groups *Vows to demolish more cult houses in Edo State
-
Business & Economy6 months agoPC-NCG Issues Disclaimer on Purported Nigerian Coast Guard National Orientation Exercise In Anambra State
-
Entertainment2 years agoJubilation galore as Parishioners of CKC Kurudu celebrate their cultural heritage ….FG should exploit our Cultural heritage to unite Nigerians-Rev Fr Dim
-
General News2 years agoReps hold public hearing on FMC Ugwuaji Awkunanaw
-
General News2 years agoCelebration galore as UDA Successfully Elected New Exco ……I will digitalize processes that will raise UDA to greater height -Comr. Okejiri
-
Law & Crime9 months agoICPC pledges to collaborate with FIDA to end Sex for Marks in tertiary institutions
-
Law & Crime7 months agoLegal practitioner raises alarm over threat to his life by CSP Muhammed Abdulkareem
